Saturday, August 16, 2008

Apologies for the late blog!

Hi all! I apologize for it taking me so long to blog but it has been a rough week. My treatments really got me down, totally exhausted and nauseated. My white blood cell count dropped severely low which meant if I left the room, I have to wear a mask and I just couldn't handle that mask so I chose to rest instead. I'm feeling much better today and my counts are gradually coming back up, which is good. With them being low, it means that the chemo is killing off the bad which I'm so thankful for. On Weds, the doctor came in to check on me and asked me if my hair had started to fall out.....I guess deep down I knew that it would but was hoping it wouldn't. He said give it a week and it would start. Apparently, if it doesn't fall out, that typically means the treatment isn't working so it's good for it to c'ome out. But everyone knows how much my hair means to me so it was difficult to hear. So, rather than wake up to long locks on my pillow, I called my friend Raeh and she came up and cut it very, very short. I'm getting used to it. Everyone says it looks great on me, which they may just be being nice, but it's not that bad. Easier to manage for now, thats for sure. And it'll make it easier once it does start to fall out (which it hasn't yet but they said probably by next week). It's still hard to think about it but I know that it's only temporary and will grow back better than ever. And I've been looking at some wigs so I maybe I could have some fun with it =) So, trying to keep a positive attitude still about it.

Today has been a pretty good day. The dr came in this morning and said I could be taken off the PCA unit, which is the unit with fluids and stuff so I can walk around freely without a machine which is awesome. He also said I could take a walk outside which I did with my mom and it was so wonderful!!! You don't realize how great the sun is until you haven't been in it for over 3 weeks. It was totally great. Then, the best news is, they may let me go home on Weds!! I'm not completely done with treatments but the dr said I'm doing well, and am very strong that he may let me go home and I'd just have to come back up the next week for my final chemo treatment and some testing. And, with God's grace, the testing will show I'm in remission and will be able to just do maintanance chemo for about 2 years. So, I've felt pretty good all day. I am SOOOOOO ready to go home and so greatful and thankful to God for taking such good care of me and for providing such wonderful nurses and doctors to look after me. So, keep thinking positive and praying that I get to come home Weds!!! I'll try to keep everyone posted. And, once I'm home, I'll still take visitors!!I'll still be at West Bank until the 1st of Sept then moving. I can take all the help with packing and moving as I can as my mom said she doesn't want me doing any of it....which is probably better so I don't get run down. And until then, come visit me here! I miss everyone so much!! Thank you all for your continued prayers and support. I never even realized or would have imagined this much just for me.....it's overwelhming.....and I appreciate it so much. We truly serve an awesome God and I'm so thankful for him and to him for surrounding me with such amazing people. I love you and miss you all!!

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Yeah Leigha! I love your fighting spirit. You keep on kicking this thing. God IS good.

Anonymous said...

That is such wonderful news!! I will keep praying for you, hope that you can come home on Wed!! You know I will come visit you... also, Brian and I will be available to help you pack/move so you just have to let me know when you need help with it all.
It was so good to see you on Friday (and yes, the short hair cut is very cute on you!)
luv ya!

amber said...

Hey girlie!! I'm so happy you are feeling better!! God is good. I'm praying you get to come home on Wed.!! I'm sure your hair looks so cute!! Can't wait to see it!!! I hope to get to visit you when I'm home for labor day. Take care!! Love ya!!