Tuesday, October 28, 2008

What an interesting treatment day

Yesterday, Monday, was my treatment day. It started out normal. My friend Sara picked me up a little before 9 and we headed to Ft. Wayne. The office was really busy so everything seemed to be taking forever. My appt was at ten but I didn't even start my treatment until 12:30. I had to get a shot in my hip and an injection in my port, both of which I've had before. Last time, the shot in my hip was 2 seperate shots since it was so much medicine. This time, for some reason, it came in one shot, which I questioned but the nurse said it should be ok. So, I got the shot in my left hip. After you get the shot, you have to wait an hour to make sure you don't react. So, after an hour, we left. I was hungry for Olive Garden so we went there for lunch. As we were sitting there eating, my leg started to itch. I didn't think much of it until my elbows started itching. I looked and I had huge bumps all over them. I ran to the bathroom quick to check the rest of me and my legs were completely covered in bumps. I started freaking out. I ran back to the table and told Sara we had to hurry back to the office. By time we got there, my arms were covered, my eyes were red and puffy, and my tongue was swelling. Freaky. When I got to the office, I have never seen them move so fast. They reaccessed my port and immediately gave me hydrocortisone and benadryl. After about 20 minutes, I was still itching so they gave me more benadryl. Now, most people fall asleep after one dose of benadryl so after 2, they said I'd be out. No such luck. The rash started to go away but then for some reason, came back worse!! At this point, it was almost 5 and the office was closing so the doctor said there was only one thing left to do since it was getting worse.....go to the ER. I was not happy about this as every time I go there, I get admitted. And, she said I had to go in the squad! Great!! So I went to the ER in the squad (the lights weren't on as is wasn't an emergency) and on the way there I got more benadryl. Yeah, I should've been out like a light but I wasn't. The rash started to go away again at the ER but after about an hour, it came back worse again. This time, I was given more benadryl (yeah most people would've been out cold after this much) and an Epipen injection, which is adrenaline. After about an hour, the rash disapeared and the dr released me, thank goodness!! But, halfway home, it started to come back!! I didn't want to go to the ER again so I just took more benadryl and prayed for the best. You'd think I would've slept great last night after all that benadryl, but no such luck. I slept horribly. But, I did wake up this morning and the rash was gone. So, yesterday was a very interesting day. Today's been pretty normal. I went to work this morning and plan on going back full time tomorrow. I'm ready to get back to normal!!

No comments: